COLLECTION AND USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary to allow our users to participate in our Services. We have specifically detailed how we use the personal information we collect below. Generally, we also use this information internally to help us improve our Services.
Information collected at registration
- Information about students. In order to register students to our Services, we collect the following personal information about them (either directly from them, from their parents if they are under 13 or from their teachers/schools) and use it for the following purposes:
- First name and initial and/or last name: first name and initial will only be used in order to enable the child’s friends to contact him/her through our Services and exchange about books and readings. Last name will only be used by teachers in order to accurately identify the child within the reading group;
- Account name and password: used to allow students to log into their account. Account name may also be used in order to enable the child’s friends to contact him/her through our Services and exchange about books and readings;
- Year and month of birth and gender: used in order to allow us to propose and recommend relevant books and readings;
- Country and state/province: country is used to show the most appropriate Amazon books database (note that state is optional and if provided, it is used to better understand where our users are located and improve our Services);
- School name (optional for student accounts): we use this information to better understand where our users are located and improve our services.
- Information about parents. During our initial registration process, when a child indicates that they are under 13, we directly collect from them the email address of a parent. The email address is then used to contact the parent if order for the parent to provide consent to the registration of his/her child and the activation his/her account. We will delete a parent’s contact information if the parent does not consent within a reasonable time. All the information we collect from parents in the context of their child’s registration is only used to process this registration.
- Information collected for teachers and school accounts. When you register as a teacher for your class or when you register as a school, we collect information such as your contact information, information about your school and payment information. We use this information to set up your account and allows us to tailor the Services to your profile.
Information we collect through the use of our Services
We collect personal information about users through their use of our Services and use this information to provide our Services. For instance, we log their last login to the Services, students’ reading history (the books they read), the rewards they acquire, and the badges they earn.
Students also provide information when connecting to friends, parents and teachers or participating in our blog. We will only use this information strictly in order for the student to communicate through the blog or with his/her friends, parents and teachers who are also registered users of our Services. Students should not disclose any sensitive information when using our Services. Students should be aware that information shared through these functions could be read, collected or used by other users. We are not responsible for the personal information that a child chooses to submit through these functions.
Information collected when you contact us
We may collect your personal information such as your name, contact information and e-mail address when you contact us requesting more information about Reading-Rewards.com or when you make an inquiry through our Services. We will only use this information to contact you in order to answer your questions and requests or to provide you with the information which you have requested.
When you use our Services, we may collect, using electronic means such as cookies, technical information that does not by itself identify a specific individual. This information may include the IP address of the computer used and the type of browser used to view our website. This technical data is aggregated and used to measure and improve the effectiveness of our website. We do not attempt to combine this technical data with the personal information we collect through our Services or that we otherwise have in our control.
We use Google Analytics which allows us to see information on user website activities including, but not limited to, page views, source and time spent on our website. This information is depersonalized and is displayed as numbers, meaning that it cannot be tracked back to individuals. You may opt-out of our use of Google Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics opt-out page.
SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Unless we have your express consent or as required or permitted by law, we will not sell, rent, share or trade your personal information (or your child’s personal information) to any third party. However, we may share personal information with service providers that we use to facilitate or outsource one or more aspects of the operation of our website. These service providers are subject to confidentiality agreements with us and other legal restrictions that prohibit their use of the information we provide them for any purpose other than to facilitate the specific outsourced related operation.
From time to time, we may be required to provide personal information in response to a valid court order, subpoena, government investigation, or as otherwise required by law. We also reserve the right to report to law enforcement agencies any activities that we, in good faith, believe to be unlawful. We may release certain personal information when we believe that such release is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property, and safety of others and ourselves.
Personal information will be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the purposes for which it was collected and for which consent was received, unless otherwise required by law. For example, we usually retain a user’s information as long as we need to provide services, and for a period of 2 years after the account was last used, unless otherwise compelled by the law to retain such information, or in the case of a litigation, or potential litigation. Personal information that is no longer required to fulfil the identified purposes will be destroyed, erased or made anonymous.
ACCESS, CORRECTION and deletion
We respect your right to access and correct your personal information (or your child’s personal information). If you are a parent, you may review your child’s personal information, direct Reading Rewards to delete it, and refuse to allow any further collection or use of your child’s information. You may contact us to exercise these rights using the contact information detailed in the Contact for Questions or Concerns section below. You can also log into your account at any time to access and update the information you have provided to us.
Unless restricted by law, we will take all reasonable steps to functionally delete your information (or your child’s information) from our database(s) upon request, although we may keep a copy for archival purposes for as long as necessary to comply with legal requirements. We will respond to your request to access, update or delete your information within thirty (30) business days. Before we are able to provide you with any information, correct any inaccuracies or delete any information, however, we may ask you to verify your identity and to provide other details (in a secure manner) to help us to respond to your request.
SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will use reasonable security measures to protect the personal information that we collect against unauthorized access. Please be careful whenever sending personal information to Reading Rewards.com via e-mail. E-mail is generally not a secure means of transferring information. We therefore cannot guarantee that this information will not be lost or used in a fraudulent manner and we encourage the use of e-mail encryption to communicate with us.
GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION
CONTACT FOR QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS